Veterinary visits can cause stress for pets (and their people), too! The good news is that you don’t have to sacrifice your pet’s care by skipping out on regular veterinary visits because of stress. Members of Phillips Creek Vet are Fear Free certified!
What does this mean?
Team members have successfully completed the Fear Free Certification and have helped train the rest of our staff “to prevent and alleviate fear, anxiety & stress in pets by inspiring and educating the people who care for them.”
With this program, we continually learn new ways to make your pet’s healthcare even better. A few examples include:
- Offer tasty treats to distract your pet and make them happy.
- Provide comfortable, non-slip surfaces for your pet to stand on thus improving balance.
- Encourage pets with a happy voice, smile, and treats—we never handle them roughly to get them on a table or into a cage.
- Considerate about your pet’s comfort when holding them or performing procedures, such as nail trims, and we don’t struggle with them.
- Create a calming environment with pheromone diffusers and sprays.
- Prescribe anti-anxiety and calming medications to give prior to their visit.
- Watch if your pet is showing excessive signs of fear, anxiety, or stress. If needed, we will postpone the exam/procedure until a time when the pet is more relaxed—often sending home medication to give prior to the next visit.
- Sedate a patient for a scary or painful procedure.
We see the benefits of a kind and considerate approach to pets when they are happy to come to visit us and become calmer patients.
Please call us at (214) 618-8180 for more information on the Fear Free environment we provide pets.